5.1.01. evolutionary solver
Galapagos is an evolutionary solver built into Grasshopper. As an example this exercise shows how Galapagos’ Simulated Annealing Solver can be used to optimise the profile curve of a revolved tower in order to get a total floor area of 5000sqm: Galapagos adjusts the location of the middle point of the revolved curve along the Y-axis aiming to approximate the total floor area of the building as good as possible.
1. A slider controls the Y-coordinate of the middle point of an interpolated curve that is revolved around a central axis
2. Floor plates are created every 3 meter
3. The total surface area of all floor plates is connected to the “fitness” parameter of Galapagos
4. Galapagos is linked back to the slider and in order to find the optimal outcome
5. In the Galapagos Editor the Fitness Target Value is set to 5000
This exercise is using Grasshopper version 1.0.0007
References: David Rutten, Evolutionary Principles applied to Problem Solving, https://www.grasshopper3d.com/profiles/blogs/evolutionary-principles, Accessed August 6, 2020.